In this article, I will be sharing 15 remedies to get rid of a dark and tanned neck that you can try from the comfort of your home.
These days there is a lot of focus on making sure our facial skin is kept in the best condition. Women use expensive creams and serums along with many at-home remedies to keep the facial skin glowing and healthy.
However, a part of the skin that is often ignored is the area around and back of the neck.
People usually don’t directly see this area in the mirror. Hence, it is often neglected by most when applying creams, moisturizers or even sunscreen.
This is usually noticed too late which leads to an embarrassing patch of dark skin at the back of the neck, sometimes even ruining the healthy and glowing look of a person.
In this article, I will also be listing a few tips on how to avoid getting a tanned neck in the future.
But before all that, let’s take a look at some of the most common causes of getting a dark and tanned neck.
- 1 The Most Common Causes Of Getting A Dark And Tanned Neck:
- 2 Easy Ways To Get Rid Of A Dark And Tanned Neck:
- 2.1 Lemon And Potato Juice:
- 2.2 Lemon Slices:
- 2.3 Coconut Water With Sandalwood Powder:
- 2.4 Buttermilk And Oat Meal:
- 2.5 Aloe Vera, Red Lentils, And Tomato:
- 2.6 Orange Juice And Yogurt:
- 2.7 Lemon Juice, Cucumber Extract, And Rose Water:
- 2.8 Turmeric And Bengal Gram Flour:
- 2.9 Sandalwood Paste:
- 2.10 Yogurt And Tomato Paste:
- 2.11 Turmeric In Milk:
- 2.12 Strawberries And Milk Cream:
- 2.13 Vicks Vapor Rub:
- 2.14 Honey And Pineapple Pulp:
- 2.15 Honey And Papaya:
- 3 Tips To Avoid Getting A Dark & Tanned Neck:
- 4 Final Word About Dark & Tanned Necks:
The Most Common Causes Of Getting A Dark And Tanned Neck:
The most common reasons why men and women have dark necks are:
- UV Light Exposure: If you go out in the sun and don’t apply sunscreen on your neck, you can expect to have dark and tanned neck skin after long-term sun exposure.
- Poor Hygiene: Not keeping the skin clean and letting dead skin cells accumulate is a sign of poor hygiene which can lead to the skin around the neck looking darker or tanned.
- Abnormal Cell Growth: Sometimes, skin cells in the epidermis layer can experience abnormal growth which can cause the skin on the neck to darken by causing an increase in production of insulin (1).
- Pharmaceuticals: Some pharmaceutical drugs are known to cause some minor side effects like skin becoming darker/tanned.
- Health Problems: Experts suggest that some health problems like diabetes and obesity can be linked to people getting dark neck skin.
Easy Ways To Get Rid Of A Dark And Tanned Neck:
Lemon And Potato Juice:
Apply a mixture of potato juice (from a medium potato) and lemon juice (one tablespoon) on the tanned skin and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse it off for fairer skin.
Rub a slice of lemon on your darkened skin and let it sit for a few minutes before washing it off.
Coconut Water With Sandalwood Powder:
Apply a mixture of one tablespoon of sandalwood powder and coconut water on your tanned skin. Leave it only for a few minutes before washing it off.
Buttermilk And Oat Meal:
Mix 3 tablespoons of buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of oatmeal to make a thick paste. Apply and massage this mixture on the tanned areas to reduce the skin tan.
Aloe Vera, Red Lentils, And Tomato:
Make a paste of soaked Red Lentils (1 tablespoon) and aloe vera gel and tomato paste in equitant parts. Apply on tanned skin, leave for 30 minutes and wash it off with cold water.
Orange Juice And Yogurt:
Apply a mixture of orange juice (one tablespoon) and yogurt to the darkened area of skin. Leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
Lemon Juice, Cucumber Extract, And Rose Water:
Apply a mixture of a tablespoon of all three ingredients onto the dark and tanned skin.
Turmeric And Bengal Gram Flour:
Mix two tablespoons of Bengal gram flour, a little turmeric, a tablespoon of rose water and some milk. Apply the mixture to the darkened skin and leave for 15 minutes before washing off.
Apply a paste made from sandalwood on the tanned area and leave it overnight. Wash it off in the morning to see benefits.
Yogurt And Tomato Paste:
Apply a mixture of a tablespoon of yogurt and tomato paste each on the skin for half an hour before washing it off with cold water.
Turmeric In Milk:
Apply some milk on the tanned skin with some Turmeric powder. This helps reduce the skin tan after the mixture dries.
Strawberries And Milk Cream:
Mix two tablespoons of milk cream with five mashed strawberries. Apply this paste to the tanned skin and leave it on for 30 minutes before washing it off.
Vicks Vapor Rub:
Get rid of the sunburnt skin by applying Vicks Vapor Rub to soothe and heal the damaged skin.
Honey And Pineapple Pulp:
Take one tablespoon of honey and mix it with some pineapple pump. Apply this mixture on the skin to help soothe and hydrate the skin.
Honey And Papaya:
Take a half cup of papaya and mash it together with a tablespoon of honey. Apply to the damaged skin and leave for 30 minutes. Wash it off after with cold water.
Tips To Avoid Getting A Dark & Tanned Neck:
Now that we know the remedies on how to repair a dark or tanned neck, let’s have a look at how we can avoid this problem in the first place:
- Apply SPF40 (or better) sunscreen at least 45 minutes before going into the skin to protect from UV rays. Apply every few hours to maintain protection from the sun (2).
- Stay hydrated by drinking at least ten glasses of water a day as it helps beat the heat while keeping your skin hydrated, moisturized and healthy.
- Use specially designed SPF lotions when swimming or working outdoors to ensure proper protection throughout the day.
- Remember to wash thoroughly with soap and water after swimming as the chlorine in the swimming pool can cause the skin to be tanned.
- Always use moisturizer, even during the summer or if you have oily skin. This is because the summer heat will dehydrate the skin quickly while moisturizers can protect your skin from losing moisture.
- Wash your face at least five times a day to keep your face clear of sweat, grime, dead skin cells, and However, don’t rub the skin, just splash it with water.
- Try to avoid being in the sun between 11 am, and 4 pm as this is when the sun rays are harshest on the skin.
- Always protect yourself from the sun with sunshades and hats. Also, protect the back of the neck with a light scarf or a wide-brimmed hat.
- Processed and junk foods can cause darker skin while healthy foods like fruits and vegetables make your skin glow and become
Final Word About Dark & Tanned Necks:
We hope that this easy to follow article has informed you of the major causes of dark/tanned skin, the 15 remedies for dark neck skin as well as the nine ways to prevent this skin problem from happening.
I am health and nutrition expert and have over 10 years of experience in the health & beauty industry. I am the co-founder of this website & currently studying medicine. Apart from my love for health, nutrition & beauty, I love researching on various topics. I Love swimming & take a dip in the pool whenever I can. Follow me on Google+ Linkedin & Pinterest.