The rise in the Zen teachings of Buddhism in the United States has allowed the practice of meditation to become very popular and well-received by many. However, there are some misunderstandings regarding this ancient method of self-realization that many of us have been told which can interfere with our meditation.
According to the experts, when you are meditating, you don’t have to do anything with your mind actively, nor should you try to focus and change who you are. Meditation is merely an act of self-observation without judgment and when done correctly, allows you to experience an improvement in self-awareness and perception.
The benefits of mediation are not just limited to self-awareness and improved perception; you can also experience tangible benefits that help improve your physical health when you meditate regularly. These physical benefits include better sleep, reducing blood pressure and improved digestion.
Mental health is also helped with meditation which can help reduce anxiety and combat depression while improving your mood and allow you to be mentally centered. You can also experience social benefits of meditation by helping you to be better equipped to handle social situations and interactions with a calmer mind that is not as reactive and explosive to others. Brainpower has been shown to be improved with meditation, especially regarding memory, learning ability and focus.
These are the 18 meditation benefits everyone should know about before considering to take up meditation:
- 1 1. Meditation Helps Reduce Pain
- 2 2. Meditation Improves Your Sleep Quality And Patterns
- 3 3. Meditation Allows You To Work Effectively While Under Stress
- 4 4. Meditation Helps Combat Stress And Anxiety
- 5 5. Meditation Improves Your Decision-Making Skills
- 6 6. Meditation Can Reduce Blood Pressure
- 7 7. Meditation Helps You Become More Compassionate
- 8 8. Meditation Helps Improve Your Creative Thinking
- 9 9. Meditation Works To Provide Anti-Inflammatory Relief
- 10 10. Meditation Could Help Counter Asthma
- 11 11. Meditation Helps Boost Focus And Concentration
- 12 12. Meditation Works To Reduce PTSD Symptoms
- 13 13. Meditation Helps Improve Digestion
- 14 14. Meditation Improves Your Learning Ability
- 15 15. Meditation Can Help Improve Visuospatial Learning
- 16 16. Meditation Can Help PMS And Menopause
- 17 17. Meditation Boosts Your Problem Solving Ability
- 18 18. Meditation Can Help Deal With And Dissipate Anger
- 19 The Conclusion Regarding Meditation Benefits
1. Meditation Helps Reduce Pain
Research has shown that meditation can help reduce the pain experienced by the body without affecting opioid receptors in the brain which can be a great non-addictive method of pain reduction.
2. Meditation Improves Your Sleep Quality And Patterns
If you want to fall asleep more easily and improve the quality of your sleep as well, you should take up meditation which has shown to be helpful for your sleep, whether done before bed or throughout the day.
3. Meditation Allows You To Work Effectively While Under Stress
When you meditate for twenty minutes in a day, you may experience an improvement in your working efficiency and ability to focus while being under stress, according to a study.
4. Meditation Helps Combat Stress And Anxiety
Not only does meditation help you efficiently work under stress, but it also helps reduce your mental stress and anxiety. Ancient teachings have shown meditation to help you combat anxiety and stress, with modern research concurring with this statement.
5. Meditation Improves Your Decision-Making Skills
Meditation has shown to benefit your brain health by improving your prefrontal cortex activity, resulting in an improvement in decision-making skills.
6. Meditation Can Reduce Blood Pressure
When people with high blood pressure were asked to meditate, it was found that this practice helped many reduce their blood pressures without any other changes in medication.
7. Meditation Helps You Become More Compassionate
Compassion meditation has shown to help individuals act with more compassion and understanding when interacting with others without actively trying to be compassionate.
8. Meditation Helps Improve Your Creative Thinking
Meditation can help you think outside the box and boost your creativity by helping you let go of the unnecessary baggage you were carrying in your mind before.
9. Meditation Works To Provide Anti-Inflammatory Relief
In a surprising find, Richard J. Davidson from the University of Wisconsin in 2013 found that meditation can act on the cellular structure of the body and the genes to help reduce inflammation.
10. Meditation Could Help Counter Asthma
In August 2017, a paper published in the Journal of Asthma stated that meditation could help improve the quality of life for people who have asthma by helping to counter the symptoms.
11. Meditation Helps Boost Focus And Concentration
One of the most important and useful benefits of meditation is its effect on your focus and concentration. Experts have found that two weeks of regular meditation can help improve focus in individuals.
12. Meditation Works To Reduce PTSD Symptoms
PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) is a mental disorder which is caused by a traumatic experience, often seen in war veterans. Meditation has shown to help reduce symptoms of PTSD, assisting many sufferers in improving their daily lives.
13. Meditation Helps Improve Digestion
When people have been meditating for a few weeks, they can expect an improvement in their digestive function, especially for those with irritable bowel syndrome.
14. Meditation Improves Your Learning Ability
When you meditate, it helps organize your mind which in turn allows you to experience an improvement in your learning ability, problem-solving, and memory.
15. Meditation Can Help Improve Visuospatial Learning
If you want to experience an increase in visuospatial learning, you should consider meditation. This practice can help improve visuospatial memory and processing of the mind, helping you better process and remember visual and spatial information.
16. Meditation Can Help PMS And Menopause
According to a study published in 2006, meditation, yoga, and meditative prayer can help improve the symptoms of PMS and menopause in women.
17. Meditation Boosts Your Problem Solving Ability
When you meditate on a regular basis, you can experience an improvement in your problem-solving ability when it comes to verbal problems by allowing you to see a more straightforward perception of the same problem.
Related: How To Boost Brain Power
18. Meditation Can Help Deal With And Dissipate Anger
If you are angry at someone or something, a few minutes of meditation can help defuse the anger by helping to calm the mind and reduce the stress you experience.
The Conclusion Regarding Meditation Benefits
After reading the 18 benefits of meditation, you now have a better understanding of how this ancient practice can help improve your life. However, we need to inform you that it isn’t easy to get started with meditation and can take some time for you to see visible results.
But just remember that every step you take towards your goal of self-realization is a step in the right direction, and eventually, you will get there. Just don’t lose hope and be perseverant.
Michelle is the senior most expert who writes for this website. After completing her graduation and 10+ years of practice, Michelle has been involved and known for a lot of her philanthropy work. Michelle loves spending time researching and writing her papers. She occasionally writes for us and we are extremely proud to have her as one of our editors. Follow me on Linkedin